Raise your hand if you followed every step of your favorite natural hair YouTube vlogger and still did not achieve the expected results!!! I have been there a million times bought every product I was told to get to achieve the “desired look” and it just didn’t work out for me. I came too realize that no one in this world can understand your strands more than you HONESTLY and just like every other Naturalista out there I’m constantly discovering new ways on how to take care of my hair! I encourage you all to do as many trials and errors as you can to discover what actually works for your Coils. Today I will provide some hacks that have helped make my journey easier and less time consuming (because we all know natural hair care can take a whole day).
So lets start with washing
- Wash your hair in sections so that it is not overwhelming.
- Don’t let your hair shrink and tangle during the wash process. Wash your hair in braided sections. You can unravel the braid, wash and re-braid to really get to all of your hair strands.
- DON’T make circular motions while washing your hair… unless you want tangles. Scrub your scalp and let the shampoo run down the hair shaft.
- An old tee shirt used to dry your hair will prevent the snags & breakage that regular towels can cause.
OK now lets discuss Conditioning
- Your hair needs its dosage of protein and moisture so deep condition as often as you can. I usually add oil when applying deep conditioner as it gives it an extra slip.
- Deep condition you hair with heat for maximum conditioning and moisture payoff
- Use a plastic bag to cover your hair when deep conditioning instead of spending money on plastic shower caps
Lastly Treatment and Styling
- Moisturize! Moisturize! In the vast majority of cases, most naturals will find the most success in moisturizing daily.
- Squeeze out excess water and let your hair air dry before twisting so it dries out by morning.
- The wetter your hair the more defined your curls will be
- If you want your twist to have more length, twist on damp not wet hair.
There are so many hair hacks out there and this post only includes a few of them so every week I will provide you guys with natural hair hacks that I believe your hair will benefit from.